For a great shave and healthier skin, you have to go beyond gliding a razor over skin. Combine these tips with the right pre-shave, shave, and post-shave regimen for the ultimate shave.
- Shave after showering to pre-soften the skin.
- Pay attention to hair growth direction: The best time to determine the pattern of your beard is to run your hand along beard growth approximately one to three days after shaving.
- Avoid alkaline-based products and soap, which can dry skin.
- Avoid after-shave lotions containing alcohol – they not only cause pain, but contribute to irritation and fail to replace the skin’s natural protective barrier.
- Shave with the right pressure: pressing hard won’t deliver a closer shave, just more irritation.
- Use a steady, constant motion when shaving, making each stroke around 1 to 2 inches long.
- Rinse the blade clean before each stroke.
- Use a sharp, clean razor and shave with the grain.*
*If you have a heavy, coarse beard, shave against the grain only after first shaving with the grain (when the hair is shorter and less likely to curl back in on itself). Re-apply all necessary shaving mediums before shaving against the gr